Nonsteroidal anti - analgesic - antipyretic
Composition per ml:
0.50 mg meloxicam .
Inflammatory drug ( NSAID) of the oxicam class that acts by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins. Studies in vitro and in vivo showed that inhibits cyclooxygenase -2 (COX -2) to a greater extent than cyclooxygenase -1 ( COX-1) .
Pharmacodynamic characteristics : It exerts anti-inflammatory, analgesic , anti-exudative and antipyretic . It reduces leukocyte infiltration into the inflamed tissue .
Pharmacokinetics : Peak plasma concentrations are obtained after approximately 3 hours. About 97 % of meloxicam is bound to plasma proteins. Has a half-life of 24 hours. The 21% of the administered dose is excreted in the urine (2% as unchanged meloxicam , 19% as metabolites ) and 79% in the faeces (49% as unchanged meloxicam , 30% as metabolites ) .
Interactions and incompatibilities
• Other NSAIDs , diuretics , anticoagulants , aminoglycoside antibiotics and substances with high protein binding may compete for binding and thus lead to toxic effects. Metacam must not be administered in conjunction with other NSAIDs or glucocorticosteroids. Avoid concomitant administration of potential nephrotoxic drugs .
• Pre-treatment with anti-inflammatory substances may result in additional or increased adverse reactions , therefore, before starting treatment should be a treatment-free period with such veterinary drugs at least 24 hours. In any case, the treatment-free period should consider the pharmacological properties of the drugs used previously.
Indications and species of destination
Cats : Relief of postoperative pain and inflammation of mild to moderate in cats after surgical procedures such as orthopedic and soft tissue . Relief of pain and inflammation in chronic musculoskeletal disorders .
• Animals in pregnant or lactating .
• Gastrointestinal disorders such as irritation and haemorrhage .
• hepatic dysfunction , cardiac or renal function and haemorrhagic .
• Hypersensitivity to the active substance or any of the excipients .
• No use in cats under 6 weeks of age.
Occasionally been reported Typical adverse reactions of NSAIDs such as loss of appetite , vomiting , diarrhea , faecal occult blood , apathy and renal failure. These side effects in most cases transient and disappear following termination of the treatment but in very rare cases may be serious or fatal .
Route of administration
Postoperative pain and inflammation following surgical procedures : After initial treatment with Metacam ® 2 mg / ml solution for injection for cats, continue treatment 24 hours later with Metacam ® 0.5 mg / ml oral suspension for cats at a dose of 0.05 mg meloxicam / kg body weight . Monitoring oral dose should be administered once a day ( every 24 hours) until four days.
Chronic musculoskeletal disorders :
Initial: 0.10 mg meloxicam / kg bodyweight as a single dose .
Maintenance: 0.05 mg meloxicam / kg p.v. once a day .
• Shake well before use .
• Administer either mixed with food or directly into the mouth .
• Administer using the drop dispenser of the bottle . Alternatively , for cats with a minimum weight of 2 kg can be used syringe provided in the package.
• Pay particular attention to the accuracy of dosing . Do not exceed the recommended dose.
• If adverse reactions occur , treatment should be discontinued and the advice of a veterinarian.
• Avoid use in animals dehydrated, hypovolaemic or hypotensive as there is a potential risk of renal toxicity.
• In case you needed more pain relief, multimodal therapy should be considered .
• the response to long-term therapy should be monitored at regular intervals by a veterinarian.
• People with known hypersensitivity to NSAIDs should avoid contact with the veterinary medicinal product .
• In case of accidental ingestion, seek medical advice immediately and show the package leaflet or the label.
• Does not require any special storage conditions .
• Shelf life after first opening the container : 14 days ( 3 ml bottle ) or six months ( 15 ml bottle ) .
Veterinary use . Veterinary medicinal product subject to prescription
No customer reviews for the moment.